Assume Love

Lately....

every song on the radio touches my soul.

every person I know makes me laugh - not because they're funny, but because the joy in knowing them has to spill out.

hearing a beautiful truth makes me dance - in my room, in my car, on the sidewalk.

love between friends has become something wondrous.

I've been having feelings of joy, and it's all because of a realization that I'm finding difficult to articulate, even to myself.

Maybe God's grace isn't an oasis in a horrible world. Maybe God's grace is so humongous that it overshadows the sin, overpowers it, overwhelms it. Lately when I look at the world, I see love instead of darkness.

Maybe I'm not a sinner. Yeah, I sin, every day, I know. But what if that's not who I am, not the consummation of my identity? Without Christ, I'm a sinner. But with Him I'm glowing, full of hope, changing, reforming.

A couple of weeks ago I was telling a sweet friend of mine about my brilliant 1-year old nephew, Elliot. He had a bit of a "dag tood" - a bad attitude - and was mumbling to me "ma ma ma" in a grumpy voice because he was mad at Megan. It was a funny story, and after laughing my friend said, "oh, that little sinner!"

Technically, she didn't say anything wrong. But inside my heart hurt, because when I see Elliot, I don't see a sinner. I see God's love pouring not only into him, but out of him. I see a vessel of joy and comfort and glory.

I'm not saying the world is, or people are, "basically good" (although I think this feeling is the kind of excitement that motivates that theology). I'm saying God's poured SO much love into me, His love is what I see when I look at myself. But for the grace of God, I know where I would stand. But I feel like we're always talking about where we would be "if not for God's grace." Okay - but now I have God's grace! What now? Shouldn't I see myself differently? Shouldn't I see the world differently?

We are most certainly not "just passing through." We are here to change the world.

There is knowing something. Hearing it, saying it, memorizing it...

and then there is knowing something. Feeling it. Living it.

I now know that God's love and comfort offers more than enough joy to overwhelm any fear.

I now know why people say, "assume love."


, originally uploaded by nikolinelr.
Break forth! Shout joyfully together, you waste places of Jerusalem. For Yahweh has comforted His people - He has redeemed Jerusalem.
Isaiah 52:9

5 comments:

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan Gilmore said...

YES! Your post made me want to dance....because it is true. :) Great articulation of thoughts that are so difficult to articulate.

Joni Gilmore said...

Thank you Sarah, for putting this lovely thought into words. I will be thinking about this a lot today. Contrary to Calvinistic thought, I don't believe we were created to be saved. We were created to glorify God and enjoy Him and all the beautiful gifts He has given us. You know the joy in Elliot's face when he swings? Like that. I want to live like that.

Pater Familias said...

Yes. I am a convicted felon facing the penalty of death. But the Governor has pardoned me and set me free. So what a waste of life to send myself to the electric chair.

Some people insist on living their life as if they are on death row, even when they have been given freedom.

Good work girl.

Unknown said...

I was wondering how to put words to this joy and where it was coming from, Thanks for helping me out :)

Post a Comment