What I'm doing today...

Recycled paper beads...
I remember making something like this in middle school, but I am trying again! I got the how-to from A Storybook Life. Elliot is helping me to rip up little pieces of newspaper today, and we'll see if I can finish them up on Sunday.

Step #1: Gather a small pile of newspapers from the recycling basket.
Step #2: Rip the paper into small pieces. (This takes a surprisingly long time, but it's a good movie-watching task)
Step #3: Put the newspaper into a large stockpot.
Step #4: Pour over enough boiling water to cover the paper.
Step #5: Allow to sit for an hour or so.
Step #6: Stir to help the paper break down.
Step #7: Drain as much water out of the paper as possible.
Step #8: Add enough glue (clear) to help the paper hold together when balled up.
Step #9: Roll the paper into round balls of any size, squeezing out moisture while rolling.
Step #10: Let them dry for a few days, rolling them three or four times a day.
Step #11: Sand each bead smooth.
Step #12: Drill a hole of your desired size in each bead.
Step #13: Paint!
Step #14: Varnish! I think I'll use Modge Podge for this step.

0 comments:

Post a Comment